Mercury fillings have been a staple in dentistry for over 150 years. These fillings are a mixture of liquid elemental mercury (50% by weight), plus silver, tin and copper (1). When someone has a cavity the dentist removes the decaying part of the tooth and inserts the mercury filling in its place. In the past I remember reading an article about mercury from the filling being released into our bodies when we chew our food. I recently went to the dentist which may have re-sparked my interest in this topic. I really don’t know much about mercury being released into our bodies but I do know there is considerable controversy around the topic. After finishing this blog I am seriously considering getting my fillings removed.
I have recently become curious about the purity of bottled water. My wife prefers spring water while I like distilled water. Most people I know have one particular brand of bottled water that they like the most while claiming that other water tastes bad. They also usually believe that tap water tastes very bad and is less clean than bottled water. But could these people really distinguish tap water from bottled water if they were blind folded? And more importantly, is bottled water cleaner or safer to drink than tap water? The answer to both questions is no.