Mercury fillings have been a staple in dentistry for over 150 years. These fillings are a mixture of liquid elemental mercury (50% by weight), plus silver, tin and copper (1). When someone has a cavity the dentist removes the decaying part of the tooth and inserts the mercury filling in its place. In the past I remember reading an article about mercury from the filling being released into our bodies when we chew our food. I recently went to the dentist which may have re-sparked my interest in this topic. I really don’t know much about mercury being released into our bodies but I do know there is considerable controversy around the topic. After finishing this blog I am seriously considering getting my fillings removed.